Charleston Inspired Foods for Paint and Sip Class (Part 3)Charleston Inspired Foods for Paint and Sip Class (Part 3)
Crispy fried green tomatoes are an ultimate Southern comfort food. If you’re going out to dinner in Charleston, chances are, you will find Fried Green Tomatoes on the menu. While typically eaten with a knife and fork at sit-down restaurants, we have an amazing variation of classic green tomatoes that make this dish an easy finger-food perfect to bring to a Pinot’s Palette class. These little crispy bites of heaven are easy to prepare, and great paired with a glass of wine or a fruity cocktail. I can’t envision a better a way to spend an afternoon than eating savory comfort food, while drinking a glass of wine, and letting my creative juices flow painting a masterpiece that I will cherish for years to come!
Fried Green Tomato Bites
● 12 in Green Cherry Tomatoes cut half
● 1/2 c . Flour I used All-Purpose
● Egg wash 1 Egg + splash of 2% Milk
● 1/2 c . Italian Flavored Breadcrumbs
● Canola Oil for frying
● For the Avocado Ranch Dipping Sauce
● 1 Avocado
● 1/2 c . Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing
1. Prepare three separate bowls for the flour, egg wash and breadcrumbs.
2. First dip the tomato halves into the flour, then into the egg wash, and finally the breadcrumbs. Repeat for all pieces.
3. Heat some oil in a frying pan, just enough to coat the bottom of the pan.
4. Add the tomatoes and fry 2-3 minutes per side until lightly browned. Remove the tomatoes from the pan and drain on paper towels or brown paper bags to remove excess oil. Serve immediately with dipping sauce.
5. For the Avocado Ranch Dipping Sauce
6. Cut the avocado in half to remove the pit. Scoop out the insides and add to a mini food processor or blender.
7. Add the ranch dressing and pulse until well blended and creamy. Makes 1 cup.
Let us know what you think of this Fried Green Tomato recipe. Have any other classic Charleston inspired recipes you think would be perfect simple treats to bring along to a Pinot's Palette? We’d love for you to share your favorites on our Facebook Page!