Summer is Here – Don’t Miss It!It happens every year: the summer that looks so long and inviting as we approach Memorial Day flies by and the next thing we know we’re counting down the days until Labor Day. Summer is suddenly half over and there go all the big plans for fun in the sun and taking advantage of the good weather and long weekends. But it’s not too late! If you, like me, find yourself looking at your calendar wondering how it got to be (late!) July, turn the tide and take some action!
How about squeezing in one or two culture-enhancing experiences before the leaves start falling?
• Be a tourist in your own neighborhood – visit Mount Vernon or Great Falls
• Stop and smell flowers at Meadowlark Botanical Gardens
• Take in a show - head to Wolf Trap for the added benefit of a little outdoors time
• See what nature has to offer at Huntley Meadows Park or another nature center or state park
• Go to an exhibit
• Spend the day on the water kayaking or canoeing on one of Virginia's waterways
• Take advantage of a cool night and see an outdoor movie in Old Town Alexandria, Rosslyn, D.C. or at Lake Anne
• Go to a winery
• Unleash your inner artist with a paint and sip class
If time and travel are working against you, don’t fret! Reallocate your resources and enjoy some down-time at home. Mix up a pitcher of sangria and check out Netflix’s latest offerings, or better yet, call a few friends over for game night (better whip up another batch o’ drinks!) and a few snacks.
Whether you’re in an all-action-all-the-time or a let’s-chill-in-the-air-conditioning mood, there’s still time for you to celebrate. Who deserves it more than you?!