Escaping the Fluorescence - Coworkers in a New LightEveryone has a different take on whether friendships in the workplace actually can be authentic.
Everyone has a different take on whether friendships in the workplace actually can be authentic. It’s hard to spend 40 + hours a week with someone and not begin to know them on a more personal level. If you are first starting a job it can be tough to know exactly how much of yourself to divulge right out of the gate. Whether your office is brimming with besties or you all just casually grab a happy hour once or twice a month there are several tricks to help bond with work mates without detracting from productivity:
1. Play MUSIC. Everyone loves to jam out as they are cranking out a deadline. Of course you shouldn’t be obnoxious, or play anything too offensive but some Adele, Taylor Swift or Rihanna can be a good way to break up the stale office air and bring a little liveliness into the place.
2. Decorate your office. It is super easy to forget how much time you spend at work. Don’t let your workplace look drab. Spice it up. If others in the office haven’t after they see yours, they will. Fair warning, be ready for your office to become the new “chill spot” where people come to take five.
3. Do activities. Team building is always fun but it doesn’t have to always be forced. Happy Hours can easily spiral out of control but a chill night at Pinot’s Palette where you invite everyone to sign up but keep it low pressure can be a little lower maintenance.
4. Bribing people gets a bad name. No one hates the person who brings in some cookies or suggest a co-worker’s day out.
5. Join a league like My Fit Company Challenge or a local kickball or volleyball league. You can even just do a fun run or Mud Dash to help you see your colleagues in the light of day in a more laid back and fun and interactive atmosphere.
Work is never as bad when it’s with people you enjoy being around, so make the most of the crowd you work with. Don’t be clique-y create open invites to bond and build a better, stronger more fun team atmosphere.