How to Find Inspiration for Painting when Nothing Seems to Resonate with YouIf you have just taken up painting as a hobby and you have run out of original concepts to paint or you have been painting for some time, but you have been suffering from an artist’s blockage lately, here are a few tips to help you find inspiration for new paintings:
- Make a list with your options – think about what you like, what interests you. Take your list with you wherever you go, keep it near you whatever you do – you can never know when inspiration comes.
- Keep a sketchbook – a sketchbook is a great working tool for any artist. You don’t need to keep the pages neat and organized, just make a quick sketch whenever an idea comes to your mind.
- Look at the things around you – everyday objects and your usual environment can provide great ideas to paint, so keep your eyes open, there is so much beauty around you.
- Use an old idea as a motif – there is more than one angle to look at anything, you can paint the same idea more than once. Look at your previous work and try to adopt a different approach when you paint old inspiration.
- Use the art of others to find inspiration – browse art books or visit a gallery to draw inspiration from the creations of other artists.
- Visit a local paint and sip class - even though your skill set may be better than most of the people who attend a paint and sip, you may find that the energy of being in a room with people, painting for fun, may energize and inspire you. The friendly artist instructors may be able to give you some ideas as well.