Houston's Hidden Art GemsMaybe you want to be a part of the Houston art scene, but you’re not sure where to start. Maybe you’ve seen the big art museums and performance halls and are looking for a more intimate cultural experience. Or maybe you just want to look cool in front of your friends. Whether you’re a newly minted Houstonian or just looking for a deeper exploration of the city, we’ve listed our favorite hidden gems of the local art scene. If you’re looking for things to do in Houston this weekend, look no further.
1. Carol Where Are You is a mysterious, monthly pop-up secret music show featuring local bands and performers. Follow @carolwhereareyou on Instagram to get details of upcoming shows. When a phone number appears on a post, you can call the number for performance details, date and location.
2. Mixed Media at MFAH is a series of nighttime dance parties at the museum complete with a cocktail bar, curated music lineup and admission to the museum’s featured exhibition. https://www..../mixed-media/
3. Houston Mural Tours is run by entrepreneurial tour guide and street art enthusiast, Laurie Mills. She gives entertaining and informative experiences that focus on the art and the artist community, all for around $40. https://www....onmuraltours/
4. Project Row Houses is a string of modernized shotgun houses that host cultural events and exhibitions. A portion of the houses are given in six-month rounds to artists in residence who transform them into living monuments to African American culture. The rest of the houses serve as galleries filled with collections of visual and literary art projects. https://proj...owhouses.org/
5. The Orange Show is an eclectic amusement park-turned-art attraction in East End. Admission is a modest $5, and the experience is truly one-of-a-kind. This venue is family-friendly and great for out-of-town visitors. https://orangeshow.org
6. Pinot's Palette take art into your own hands with a little liquid creativity! Paint, Drink & Have Fun at Pinot's Palette in the Memorial City area. Perfect for your next girls night out, date night, or just a night to have some creative entertainment! We are BYOB so feel free to bring anything you'd like to sip and snack on during the event. Check out our upcoming calendars and uncork your inner artist!